In 1734 Joseph Cooper built the two and a half-story Dutch Colonial style stone residence for his son Benjamin on land conveyed to him by his father, the first Joseph Cooper. The Coopers were prominent business owners and dominated the early ferry industry which connected Camden to Philadelphia. As Camden developed into an industrial powerhouse, ferries were the catalyst that allowed transport of people and manufactured goods. The Benjamin Cooper House is one of the oldest standing buildings and the only remaining ferry tavern in Camden.
Now vacant, the house was severely damaged by fire in November 2012. The Trust grant will help fund plans for stabilization and a conditions assessment of the remaining portions of the building.
For more information, visit: http://www.ci.camden.nj.us/history/