Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
The Bridget Smith House
The Bridget Smith House
New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Matching Grant Awards
Grant Award:
$27,000 (1995)
Grant Recipient:
Mine Hill Township
County:
Morris
Municipality:
Mine Hill Township

Built in 1855, this house is the last intact example of iron miners' housing in the area known as Mine Hill and later, "Irishtown."  The Smith house was a double house that was inhabited by a miner's family and a farmer's family. Its last owner co-occupied the house from 1912 to 1988.

The grant helped fund the stabilization and restoration of the house exterior, which houses displays that interpret local history and feature photos and artifacts relating to the iron mining industry. Volunteer members of the Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill coordinate restoration efforts, collections, and tours.

For more information, visit: http://ferromonte.org/bsmithhouse.htm