Built in 1905 in the Neo-Classical Revival Style, the Camden Free Public Library, designed by architects Hale and Morse, was funded by Andrew Carnegie. The library is an early example of Carnegie's nationwide program to provide funding for library construction in cities and towns, when endowed by local municipalities. Vacant since 1986, the roof has collapsed into the structure and water has damaged all interior finishes.
The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of planning documents and stabilization drawings in anticipation of future reuse project. The library is located in the Broadway Redevelopment District, an area that is designated to include new schools and social agencies.
For more information, visit: http://www.dvrbs.com/camden/CamdenNJ-CarnegieLibrary.htm