Built in 1821, Champion School is a proto-typical single-room schoolhouse from the nineteenth century. Upon passage of the New Jersey Public School Act in 1858, Champion School was named as the first free public school in Old Gloucester County. Through its educational, religious and civic uses, Champion School has been a cornerstone of the Newton/Haddon Township community for 150 years.
The grants funded stabilization of the school's roof, structural improvements, and the removal of stucco to expose the original brick walls.
For more information, visit: http://collingswood.com/living/a-brief-history-of-collingswood