Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Convent of Saint Peter the Apostle, New Brunswick
Saint Peter the Apostle Church: Convent
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$43,777 (2005)
Grant Recipient:
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Metuchen
County:
Middlesex
Municipality:
New Brunswick

The Sisters of Charity Convent complex was built in 1868, attached to Saint Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church in New Brunswick. With its ashlar brownstone walls, pointed arch windows, decorative woodwork, and steeply pitched, multi-gabled roof, the building is typical of American Gothic Revival architecture. The complex was vacated in 2004.

The Trust grant helped fund preparation of a feasibility study to adapt the former convention complex to senior housing. The study included mechanical assessment, drawings, and schematic layouts for the apartments.

For more information, visit: http://www.stpetertheapostle.org/about/history.html