Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Bivalve Shipping Sheds
Bivalve Shipping Sheds
Cultural Trust Historic Preservation Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2007)
Grant Recipient:
Bayshore Discovery Project
County:
Cumberland
Municipality:
Commercial Township
The shipping sheds and wharves were constructed in 1904 with roofs added over the wharves in 1916. The row of seven remaining sheds is the centerpiece of the Maurice River Cove oyster industry that once prospered on the bay. Built by the railroad, the sheds and its associated industries employed thousands of workers and defined the regional economy.

The grant helped fund the exterior rehabilitation of a1916 boxcar for eventual use as a restroom facility.