Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
George A. Strong Residence
Cultural Trust Capital Preservation Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2012)
Grant Recipient:
duCret School of Art
County:
Union
Municipality:
Plainfield

This building was designed by the architectural firm of Rossiter and Wright and constructed in the Colonial Revival style in 1896 for George and Harriet Strong.  It is distinguished by the use of buff yellow brick, a symmetrical front fa├žade with central porch, a mix of plain and stained glass windows, and a side porte cochere.  The house served as private residence until 1931, and in 1933 the house was purchased and converted into a private school for boys.  It served in that capacity until 1976 when the school moved to Edison.  The duCret School of Art moved to the building in 1977.  The residence retains a high degree of architectural integrity. 

 

This 2012 grant will help fund restoration of the porte cochere, chimney, and roof repairs.

 

For more information, please visit http://www.ducret.edu/.