Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Hageman Farm House
Hageman Farm House and Van Liew-Suydan House
Cultural Trust Historic Preservation Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000
Grant Recipient:
Meadows Foundation
County:
Somerset
Municipality:
Somerset
The Hageman Farm House was constructed in 1861 with an 1876 addition and is associated with Adrian and Catherine Hageman, who came to America in 1652-53, and their descendents. The house and barn are representative examples of a nineteenth century farmstead.

The Van Liew-Suydan House was built in 1875 by Peter Suydan. The property was originally settled by Frederick Van Liew. Suydan’s family farmed the property until 1922. The house is a good example of Italianate architecture. In 1973 the State of New Jersey acquired the property for part of the Six Mile Run Reservoir.

Each property is cared for by the Meadows Foundation, an organization that stewards multiple sites of Dutch and Early American heritage in Somerset County. The grant will help fund accessibility improvements to both houses that are open to the public for tours and special events.