Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Marshall House
Marshall House
Cultural Trust Historic Preservation Grants
Grant Award:
$13,445
Grant Recipient:
Lambertville Historical Society
County:
Hunterdon
Municipality:
Lambertville
The James Marshall House is listed in the New Jersey Register and National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1816, the house was the home to James Wilson Marshall, who with John Sutter, constructed a sawmill in California in 1848 and discovered gold. This discovery in turn led to the great California gold rush. The building presently houses the offices, archives, and exhibits of the Lambertville Historical Society.

The Cultural Trust grant helped fund the replacement of deteriorated fence posts and fencing, exterior painting of the building, the installation of a chimney cap, and improvements to the front sidewalk to reduce existing safety hazards.