Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Merchants and Drovers Tavern
Cultural Trust Capital Preservation Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2012)
Grant Recipient:
Merchants and Drovers Tavern Museum Association
County:
Union
Municipality:
Rahway

The Merchants and Drovers Tavern was constructed in 1795 as a two-story residence with a portion of the first floor occupied by a general store. In 1798 John Anderson purchased the building and soon after began to operate a tavern and hotel in the building.  During the early nineteenth century the building was expanded to its current configuration. The building remained a hotel and tavern until 1934. At that date the building was leased to the Girl Scouts, who continued to use the building up until its sale to Rahway Historical Society, now the Merchants and Drovers Tavern Museum Association, in 1971.

 

The 2012 Cultural Trust grant will help fund exterior repairs.

 

For more information, visit http://www.merchantsanddrovers.org/.