Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Polhemus House
Cultural Trust Historic Preservation Grants
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2009)
Grant Recipient:
Newark Museum Association
County:
Essex
Municipality:
Newark
The Polhemus house is a c.1860 brick and brownstone townhouse, built for Eliza Brodhead Heyer Polhemus, widow of the first minister of the North Reformed Dutch Church of Newark.  It is the only mid-19th century row house remaining in the James Street Commons Historic District.  In 1906, the interior was redecorated by the Associated Artists, the decorative arts firm founded by Candace Wheeler and Louis Tiffany.

The house is now owned by the City of Newark and leased to the Newark Museum.  Closed since 2004, the building has suffered severe deterioration, but its restoration and rehabilitation is planned as part of the museum's expansion plans.

The current grant will help fund the removal of deteriorated elements and the abatement of hazardous materials in preparation for future restoration work.