Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Dey Mansion
Dey Mansion
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award:
$35,998 (2002); $37,500 (2004); $619,737 (2008)
Grant Recipient:
County of Passaic
County:
Passaic
Municipality:
Township of Wayne

The Dey Mansion was constructed during the second half of the eighteenth century and is an excellent example of high-style Georgian architecture. The building is also significant for its association with the Dey family, an important Passaic County family. Additionally, the building derives significance from its association with George Washington, who used the building as his headquarters on two occasions in 1780. Passaic County acquired the building in 1934. Since that time, it has been open to the public as a house museum. In the 1930s the Dey Mansion underwent extensive restoration under the direction of Charles Cornelius, a noted scholar of eighteenth century architecture. The building has gained significance as an early example of preservation in New Jersey.

The 2008 Trust grant hlped fund the interior and exterior restoration of the building as well as improve accessibility to the first floor. Previous grants helped fund the preparation of a historic structures report and a cultural landscape report.

For more information, visit: http://passaiccountynj.org/facilities/facility/details/25