Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Dutch Reformed Church, New Brunswick
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2007); $487,797 (2008); $50,000 (2012)
Grant Recipient:
First Reformed Church, New Brunswick
County:
Middlesex
Municipality:
New Brunswick

The First Reformed Church is significant for its expression of the Federal style of architecture. Its period of significance ranges from the 1790s to the 1920s. The church building is surrounded by the cemetery, which dates back to the construction of the first church on the site in 1754. Together, the church, education building, sexton's house, and cemetery reveal the history of the site as a religious and community center dating back to the early settlement of New Brunswick.

The 2012 Trust grant will help fund the preparation of plans and construction documents for interior reconfiguration to rehabilitate the space for community meetings, offices and transitional housing.

The 2008 Trust grant helped fund the preservation of the exterior of the education building and the church sanctuary. The education building had its roof replaced, tower stabilized, and masonry repaired. The main church building received a new slate roof and masonry repointing. The project was guided by a preservation plan prepared with Trust funding in 2007.

For more information, visit: http://firstreformedchurch.net/history-of-frc/