Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Fairfield’s “Old Stone” Church
Fairfield Presbyterian "Old Stone" Church
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award:
$7,500 (2001); $112,734 (2004)
Grant Recipient:
Presbytery of West Jersey
County:
Cumberland
Municipality:
Fairfield Township
Fairfield’s “Old Stone” Church is a finely preserved example of an early meetinghouse, which was constructed in 1780 by a Presbyterian congregation. The original Georgian interior, including the raised pulpit, remains intact. Without electricity and heated only by a stove, the only major exterior alteration is a change of roof cladding from wood shingle to slate.

The Trust grant funded the building’s structural stabilization, caused by the inappropriate installation of a slate roof in 1880.  The Trust previously funded a preservation plan that identified the structural threat.

For more information, visit:  http://www.pcanet.org/history/churches/fairfield.html