Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon
First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon
Preserve New Jersey Historic Preservation Fund
Grant Award:
$150,000 (2016)
Grant Recipient:
First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon
County:
Morris
Municipality:
New Vernon (Harding Township)

This church was constructed in a modified Federal style in 1834 by Master Builder Elijah Hopping. The rectangular meeting house form, the pedimented roof, symmetrical lines, and three entrance doors with rectangular transom are all Federal motifs, but the pointed arch and the tower with pinnacles are Gothic.

The Trust grant would help fund the stabilization and preservation of the cedar shake roof and bell tower.

For more information, visit: www.livingplaces.com/NJ/Morris_County/Harding_Township/New_Vernon_Historic_District.html