Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
franklin inn
Franklin Inn
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$39,863 (2007)
Grant Recipient:
Township of Franklin
County:
Somerset
Municipality:
Township of Franklin

Originally a Dutch-framed 1734 farmhouse built for the Van Liew family, the building was remodeled into a tavern around 1830. The inn served as British headquarters briefly in 1777. Stagecoach, canal, railroad travelers and workers visited throughout the 19th century. The Inn's business suffered during prohibition, the Depression and the closing of the canal, and the structure was then used as place of business. It currently houses a first-floor book store managed by the Meadows Foundation, a nonprofit organization that is a steward to many historic sites in the county.

The 2007 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a Historic Structure Report to provide a chronology of the building's history and construction, document existing conditions, and make prioritized recommendations for future repair and restoration of the structure.

For more information, visit: http://themeadowsfoundation.org/franklin-inn.html