Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Friends Meeting House
Friends Meeting House
New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Matching Grant Awards
Grant Award:
$23,363 (1991)
Grant Recipient:
Friends Meeting House Association
County:
Morris
Municipality:
Randolph
This 1758 Quaker meetinghouse is the oldest religious building in continuous use in Morris County. It may have the most intact eighteenth-century Quaker meetinghouse interior in the nation. Founding members of the meeting formed the first anti-slavery society in New Jersey in 1776. Second generation members industrialized the Mill Brook Valley from 1790-1840.

The Trust grant funded structural stabilization and electrical upgrading for the structure. The project sponsors have developed a number of programs about the meetinghouse to increase public understanding of historic preservation.
For more information, visit:  http://randolphmeetinghouse.org