This Greek Revival-style frame church was constructed in 1855 on land donated by Quaker Alexander Cooper in the small community of Glendale. Originally, the structure housed a Methodist Episcopal church on the upper level and a co-ed public school at the lower level. It survives as the oldest public school in Camden County, one of the few historic buildings in modern Voorhees, and the only property in Voorhees Township listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 1920, the building ceased to be used as a school, but the lower level continued to be used for community functions. The site is a small oasis at a busy intersection in an area of intense commercial development.
The Trust grant helped fund the stabilization of the structure and restoration of the exterior to recreate the church's 1930s appearance. The work involved replacing the roof with standing seam metal, repairing masonry and windows, restoring the clapboard and painting in early colors.
For more information, visit: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM71MA_Glendale_United_Methodist_Church_Voorhees_NJ