Built in 1883, the Water Works is the oldest public building in Gloucester City. Situated within view of the Walt Whitman Bridge, this facility housed early large-scale water purification and treatment processes before the era of mechanical filtration and chlorination. Although the filtration plant is no longer in operation, the structure has been in continuous use since its construction.
The grant funded the exterior masonry restoration of the building, as well as a preservation plan to address the overall needs of the complex. The property will continue to function as a part of the municipal water system by providing office space and repair shops.
For more information, visit: http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews13.shtml