Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Grover Cleveland Birthplace
Grover Cleveland Birthplace
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$49,500 (2010)
Grant Recipient:
Grover Cleveland Birthplace Association
County:
Essex
Municipality:
Caldwell Borough

This building was constructed in 1832 as the manse for the First Presbyterian Church at Caldwell. The Rev. Richard Cleveland became pastor of the church in 1834, and his son, Grover, was born in the manse in 1837. The family lived there until 1841.

The Grover Cleveland Birthplace Memorial Association acquired the manse in 1913. The house was restored with the assistance of the WPA in 1934. Today the Grover Cleveland Birthplace is administered by the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry, State Park Service.

The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a condition assessment and feasibility study for reusing the carriage house as a visitor center, an archeological assessment of the site, reuse plans for the carriage house, and a heritage tourism assessment and plan for the site.

For more information visit: http://www.clevelandbirthplace.org/