The John Lucas House was constructed about 1856 as a summer home for the Lucas Family, whose patriarch John Lucas founded the Paint Works facility on Silver Lake, which is adjacent to the home. During the late 1800s, John Lucas was at the forefront of the industrialization of paint and color manufacturing, developing dozens of patents from his Gibbsboro labs. Among them was the first patent for "ready-mix" paint, or paint in a can. It was from his home that John Lucas could oversee the operations of his growing business.
The Trust grant helped fund a preservation and adaptive reuse plan for the structure, to allow for a public use of this borough-owned building.
For more information, visit: http://www.gibbsborotownhall.com/index.php/history