Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Lieutenant's Quarters Building 02, Fort Hancock
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2012)
Grant Recipient:
The AIDS Resource Foundation for Children
County:
Monmouth
Municipality:
Middletown

Fort Hancock played a major role in the defense of New York/New Jersey Harbor. British and Loyalist troops occupied Sandy Hook during the Revolutionary War, and as methods for warfare modernized, Fort Hancock evolved from a permanent masonry fort manned by heavy artillery used to protect sea lanes, to an air defense role using anti-aircraft batteries and finally Nike missiles during the Cold War. Located in the Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground Historic District, Building 02 is one of a series of eighteen nearly identical residences constructed for officer’s housing along Hartshorne Drive on the western side of the Sandy Hook peninsula. The buff-colored, two and half story brick buildings were constructed in 1898-1899 and were known as Officer’s Row.

The Trust grant will help fund the preparation of design and construction documents for the building’s adaptive use as a bed and breakfast training facility for young adults affected by HIV/AIDS.

For more information, visit: http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/foha.html