Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Mead Hall
Mead Hall
New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award:
$649,895 (1991) $525,769 (2004)
Grant Recipient:
Drew University
County:
Morris
Municipality:
Madison
Once known as The Forest, this impressive Greek Revival-style mansion was built by the Gibbons family c. 1836, and has been the centerpiece of the Drew University campus since 1867.  It remains one of the finest examples of its style in the nation. Mead Hall serves as ceremonial and meeting space for the university and houses its executive offices.

The Trust grant helped fund the rehabilitation of the brownstone entrance stairs, the structural stabilization of the front porch, and banister restoration.  The earlier Trust grant helped fund the rehabilitation of fire-damaged interiors and restoration of elements of the surrounding grounds.

For more information, visit: www.drew.edu