Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Newark Symphony Hall
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2009)
Grant Recipient:
Newark Performing Arts Corporation, Inc.
County:
Essex
Municipality:
Newark

Originally known as the Mosque Theater and officially called the Salaam Temple, the Hall was built from 1922 to 1925 and includes Neo-Classical, Greek, Roman and Egyptian design elements. The building was in private ownership until 1964 when purchased by the City of Newark. It is now leased to the Newark Performing Arts Corporation and remains the primary concert space for the Newark Symphony. The buidling suffers from some localized water infiltration.

The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that will help guide future efforts to maintain, repair and restore this 1920s urban landmark, with special attention to restoring its historic interior finishes.

For more information, visit: http://www.newarksymphonyhall.org/