Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Our Lady of Czestochowa Roman Catholic Church
Our Lady of Czestochowa Roman Catholic Church
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$32,550 (2001)
Grant Recipient:
Our Lady of Czestochowa
County:
Hudson
Municipality:
Jersey City
The origins of the present church date to its construction in 1831 as a Protestant Episcopal church. Rebuilt after an 1869 fire, the church was sold to a Catholic congregation in 1905, and Our Lady of Czestochowa was founded in 1911 to serve the city's growing Polish immigrant community. The church today is an integral component of the Paulus Hook Historic District, and the building and congregation contribute to the spirit of this changing neighborhood and community.

The Trust grant will fund a preservation plan for the church that will guide future historic preservation efforts.

For more information, visit: http://www.paulushook.org