Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Port Colden School
Port Colden Historic District: Port Colden Schoolhouse
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$234,850 (2000); $50,000 (2007); $273,800 (2008)
Grant Recipient:
Washington Township Board of Education
County:
Warren
Municipality:
Washington

The school was constructed in 1869 and exhibits both Italianate and Gothic Revival details. It is a good example of a gable-fronted, belfry-capped, two-story brick schoolhouse. The building remained in use as a school until 1931. With the opening of a new school building the former school house was briefly used as a courthouse and later as a storage facility.

The 2008 grant funded restoration of the first floor and rehabilitation of the second floor. The second floor houses school district offices while the first floor is open to the public and used as a teaching tool for local and regional students. Previous grants helped fund exterior restoration, the preparation of construction documents, and materials analysis.

For more information, visit: http://www.livingplaces.com/NJ/Warren_County/Washington_Township/Port_Colden_Historic_District.html