Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Princeton Baptist Church
Princeton Baptist Church
New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Grant Award:
$12,425 (1992)
Grant Recipient:
Princeton Baptist Church
County:
Mercer
Municipality:
West Windsor
The church and its associated parsonage and cemetery are the main surviving manifestations of the turnpike community known as Penn’s Neck, situated along U.S. Route 1. In 1811, a group of Baptists received a deed for the church property from William Kovenhoven, a wealthy Baptist landowner who owned a tavern on an adjoining lot. The church purchased the tavern for use as a parsonage in 1879. Although located in Penn’s Neck, the Princeton Baptist Church owes its name to a period of years when the congregation abandoned the building to establish a church in Princeton. When they returned to Penn’s Neck, the congregation kept the past association with Princeton in its church’s new name.

The grant funded repairs to the eaves and roof of the front gable and repainting of the steeple.