Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
princeton nurseries
Princeton Nurseries
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2007); $750,000 (2008)
Grant Recipient:
South Brunswick Township Preservation Commission
County:
Middlesex
Municipality:
Kingston

Princeton Nurseries is nationally significant for its association and contribution to the history of commercial horticulture in the United States. Princeton Nurseries was once the largest commercial nursery in the United States. At its peak it occupied 1,000 acres and employed 300 workers. The nursery was established in 1913 by William Flemer, Sr. and introduced many important plant varieties. The nursery business relocated in 1995 to Allentown, New Jersey.  Over 214 acres of the former nursery are currently in public domain, owned either by South Brunswick Township or the State of New Jersey.

The heart of the nursery contains the former sales and administration building, a former blacksmith shop, two large cold storage buildings, a propagation house, and several greenhouses connected to the propagation house. Additionally, the district contains numerous horticultural areas, former worker's housing, and former Flemer family dwellings.

The 2008 Trust grant helped fund the rehabilitation of the propagation house and adjoining greenhouses. The propagation house is planned to become an interpretive and education facility. The 2007 grant helped fund the preparation of a cultural landscape report that will guide restoration of the site.

For more information, visit: http://www.fpnl.org/