The three-story brick row house was constructed in 1903 as a Colonial Revival style residence for William T. Read, a prominent Camden attorney. His son, William Read, Jr. would later become a state Senator and Treasurer. The building was later divided into offices with an apartment on the upper floor, and was purchased by the applicant for its headquarters in 1997. The structure retains a high degree of architectural integrity on the exterior, with original windows on the first floor and side elevations, glazed brick laid in a Flemish bond and oriel bay window on the second floor. Interior finishes remain for the most part, but have been covered with modern materials in some areas.
The grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that will assess exterior and interior conditions of the structure and set priorities for future repairs and improvements. The grant will also fund the preparation of construction drawings for the exterior restoration of the building, based on the recommendations of the preservation plan.
For more information, visit: http://www.camden-ahec.org/