Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Roebling Mansion
Roebling Mansion
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award:
$750,000 (2004)
Grant Recipient:
New Jersey League of Municipalities
County:
Mercer
Municipality:
Trenton
The mansion is the last remaining residence in the city associated with the Roebling family, producers of wire rope that helped make Trenton a major industrial center.  Built c.1856, possibly in a Greek or Italianate style, the structure was remodeled c. 1870, and a distinctive octagonal, paneled room added. Located in the State House Historic District, the mansion was vacant for 30 years until the city sold the property to the NJ State League of Municipalities for reuse as its headquarters.

The Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the building’s stucco and brick exterior, roof replacement, stabilization of the building and preservation of at least three rooms in the mansion, by salvaging mantels, plaster, paneling, stained glass, doors, hardware and ironwork.  The work was part of a larger construction project that included a three-story addition and parking facility.  The former mansion now houses the offices, reception and meeting rooms of the League, and additional space is rented for income.

For more information, visit:  http://www.njslom.org/