Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Solitude House
Solitude House
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2010)
Grant Recipient:
Borough of High Bridge
County:
Hunterdon
Municipality:
High Bridge Borough

Solitude House and its associated outbuildings are historically associated with the Taylor Wharton Company, the successor firm to the Allen & Turner ironworks. The ironworks and the subsequent steelworks were significant in the industrial development of New Jersey. The house was most likely built between 1740 and 1776 and significantly remodeled in the Italian Villa style during the middle of the nineteenth century. Other features in the vicinity of the house include a lake and dam, the remains of a small hydroelectric plant, iron furnace ruins, other outbuildings, and site features. The Borough of High Bridge purchased the property as open space and leases part of the house to the Union Forge Heritage Association as a museum.

The 2010 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that will guide future repair and restoration of the property.

For more information visit: http://highbridge.org/government/cultural-heritage-committee/solitude-house-update-request-for-help/