Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
St. Peter's Episcopal, Spotswood
St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Spotswood
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award:
$39,377 (2012)
Grant Recipient:
St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Spotswood
County:
Middlesex
Municipality:
Spotswood

St. Peter’s was founded in 1758, one of the oldest parishes in the Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey. The original church was replaced by this Carpenter Gothic building in 1854 and is an early example of this style, which was patterned after the stone Gothic Revival churches. The church features a board and batten exterior, Gothic arched openings and lancet windows, stepped buttresses and decorative moldings. A rectory and parish hall were added in 1872 and 1888, respectively, in the same style as the church. The property is surrounded by a brick wall; the cemetery pre-dates construction of the church.

The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan and energy audit that will enable the church to begin planning for long-term repair and restoration projects.