Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Phoenix House
Phoenix House
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award:
$33,225 (2001); $266,444.60 (2002)
Grant Recipient:
Borough of Mendham
County:
Morris
Municipality:
Borough of Mendham

The Phoenix House was constructed in the early 19th century, purchased in 1820 by William Phoenix for use as an inn, and then used from 1857 to 1907 by his daughters as a boarding house. The building is a fine example of the Federal style, with Greek Revival-style porches added in 1840. Since 1938, the Borough of Mendham has used the building for municipal office and meeting space.

The 2002 Trust grant helped fund the preservation of the building, improvement of mechanical systems and creation of barrier-free access. The 2001 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan, a structural assessment, and design and construction documents for a limited-scope capital project.

For more information, visit: http://www.mendhamnj.org/Cit-e-Access/ContactInfo/?TID=94&TPID=9707