Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Thomas & Mary Evens House
Thomas & Mary Evens House
New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Grant Award:
$308,761 (1996)
Grant Recipient:
Evesham Township
County:
Burlington
Municipality:
Evesham Township

With the date of its construction reproduced in patterned bricks on the gable, this 18th-century farmhouse is a distinctive example of a southern New Jersey patterned brick house. Built in 1785, with a western addition in 1790, the Georgian-vernacular house retains much of its original building material and its farm-like setting. It served for many years as the homestead for a family descended from original settlers. Now, the structure is part of the Indian Springs Golf Course and sits amid protected open space purchased with state Green Acres funds.

In 2000 the house was rededicated as the Center for the Arts in Southern New Jersey and is a cultural center providing classes and exhibitions that are open to the public.

The Trust grant helped fund structural stabilization, exterior restoration, and interior rehabilitation.

For more information, visit: http://cfasnj.wordpress.com/evens_house/