Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Trenton Masonic Temple
Trenton Masonic Temple
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2002); $750,000 (2004)
Grant Recipient:
NJ Grand Lodge
County:
Mercer
Municipality:
Trenton
The Masonic Temple was originally constructed in 1927 to house five meeting lodges.  It is the last Grand Masonic Lodge facility in the State.  Designed by Trenton architect Harry A. Hill and decorated by Chicago designer Gustav Brand, the interior features elaborate stenciling, painting, plastering and murals.  The Grand Lodge of New Jersey acquired the building in 2004 for the purpose of restoring and managing the building, which had declined in physical condition and use. 

The Trust grant helped fund exterior restoration, interior rehabilitation, repair and accessibility improvements, recommended by the preservation plan that funded by a Trust grant in 2002.  The building now has an accessible ramp and restroom faclilities, the decorative finishes in the first floor ballroom and foyer have been restored, and the building's systems have been upgraded.  The Masons are helping to pay for maintenance by renting the facility for public meetings and conferences, and the third floor houses a new tenant for additional rental income. 

For more information, visit: http://www.mercer50.com/