Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Trinity Episcopal Old Swedes Church
Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" Church
New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Grant Award:
$246,144 (1993); $153,155 (1995); $49,980 (2004)
Grant Recipient:
Trinity Episcopal Church
County:
Gloucester
Municipality:
Swedesboro Borough

Trinity Church is a fine example of late-eighteenth century ecclesiastical architecture. Closely patterned on the Georgian designs of Christ Church and St. Peter's Church in Philadelphia, the building was constructed in 1784 and was expanded with an imposing tower in 1838, which may have been designed by William Strickland, Independence Hall's architect. The church retains many distinctive 18th century interior features, such as boxed pews and Palladian windows. The property, also known as "Old Swedes" Church, is the third oldest Swedish Church in the country.

The 2005 Trust grant helped fund Previous Trust grants helped fund stabilization of the bell tower, exterior restoration, stabilization of faulty roof trusses, and restoration of the roof to its original wood shingle appearance.

For more information, visit: www.trinityswedesboro.org/History.htm