Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Updike Farm
Updike Farm
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award:
$38,803 (2004); $605,825 (2006)
Grant Recipient:
Historical Society of Princeton
County:
Mercer
Municipality:
Princeton

The Updike or Clarke Farm is part of the Princeton Battlefield Historic District. The property is part of the Stony Brook settlement of what later became Princeton. The land was purchased by Benjamin Clarke in 1696 and remained in the family until the mid-19th century, when it was purchased by the Updike Family. Today, the property is one of the last surviving farms in Princeton and protected by a farmland conservation easement. The farmhouse and its outbuildings remain unchanged from the mid-20th century.

The 2006 grant helped fund exterior restoration, interior rehabilitation and an accessible entrance to the first floor of the farmhouse. The work was guided by a preservation plan funded in part by a previous Trust grant. The farmhouse now houses the administrative offices of the Historical Society, which purchased the property in 2003.

For more information, visit:
http://www.princetonhistory.org/locations/updike-farmstead.cfm